We have spent the past two weekends on the road visiting our
families. It is always nice to spend
time with them. It doesn’t happen very
often that we get to go and spend the entire weekend, but the past two weeks we
were able to do exactly that! We were able to wish Rik’s grandpa a happy
birthday and visit with his family and we were able to get my sister ready for
her winter formal and visit with my family.
Being busy has been good for me. I am trying with every
ounce of my body to get through losing Joey. I spend most of my days pretending
like everything is fine and going to be fine. I had a woman at work tell me “Fake
it ‘til you make it.” I have tried my best.
However, the past few days have been rough and I am learning to realize
that things aren’t fine, and that I don’t have to fake it. I have a really good
excuse for not being ok. So I asked for you, as you are reading this, to understand
that I am trying but that I am not always ok.
Today is a reminder that life isn’t easy. Life isn’t fair. Sometimes,
you lose people that you love way too soon.
Eight years ago today, I lost two really good friends to a senseless
act.
Throughout your life, you develop friendships with lots of
people. You have friends that you met at work, friends from college, friends
that you met through other friends and friends that have been your friends
forever.
I love and adore every single one of my friends. I would not
be the person that I am without them. However, if you are like me, those
friends that have been your friends forever, holds a special place in your
heart. I grew up in a small town. In
doing so, I went to school with the same people from kindergarten through my
senior year (all 68 of them!). I learned
to read with these girls. I shared my first drink with these girls. I went
through puberty and those awful ugly, finding yourself years, with these girls.
I went to prom with these girls. I skipped school with these girls (sorry Mom!)
I fought with these girls about who said what, to who and when. I love these
girls.
My group of childhood friends spent every waking moment
together. We didn’t knock when we went to each other’s houses; we simply went
in, sat down and became part of the family. I can still tell you most of my childhood
friends’ home address and phone number.
If you have these friends, you know that when you went away
to college, you didn’t see these girls everyday anymore. You didn’t talk to
them as often, but that bond that you shared didn’t go away. I spent every day
of the first 18 years of my life with these girls. A bond doesn’t break that
easily. I still see these girls and our friendships don’t skip a beat. You
would never know that it has been over a decade since we graduated.
I would say that there was a consistent group of 12 girls
that were best friends. Two of those girls were killed in a car accident eight
years ago today. Two men senselessly decided to drag race on a winding road, killing
Jena and Jenna in the process.
Before losing Joey, those days that followed their deaths
were among the hardest in my life. At the age of 19, we spent an entire weekend
attending funerals for two girls that we had known and loved since we were five.
We were devastated.
These girls were taken from this world way to soon.
Jena and Jenna- We love and miss you!! Please take care of my Joey.
Love you girls!
No comments:
Post a Comment