Wow. It is really hard to believe that 9/11 was 11 years
ago. I had a discussion a few days ago with co-workers about how weird it is
that something still so fresh in our minds happened over a decade ago.
It is crazy to think that my sisters and brother who are 16,
13, and 12 were barely talking let alone able to comprehend an event that has
impacted my generation as much as it has.
I will never forget that day. Ironically, I was sitting in
Mrs. Winneburg’s (Winnie-as we called her) American Government class when
another teacher came in and told us to turn on the tv. We watched in horror as
the second plane hit. Even writing this,
I have chills thinking about it.
At the time they had talked about a third plane hitting the
Pentagon. That is when it became a personal matter. I had spoken with my Dad
earlier that week and remembered him saying he would be in D.C. at some meetings
at the Pentagon for a few days. I remember putting two and two together and panicking.
Was he still there? What day was his meeting? Why didn’t I listen closer to
what he was saying? Was he ok?
Back then, high school kids didn’t have cell phones (crazy,
right?) so I went to the office and used the school phone to try and contact
him. I got the busy signal over and over. I later learned it
was because cell towers were down. It several
hours before I found out that he was safe at the airport and watched the plane
hit.
I know the panic I felt after only a few hours of not
knowing. I cannot fathom the panic and pain of those men and women in the towers that day. Or what their loved ones felt watching
the Towers fall knowing their loved ones where inside. I can't begin to understand the thoughts of the wives who talked to their
husbands on Flight 93, knowing that would be the last time they spoke.
I salute our nation for standing behind the innocent 2,977
people killed that day. I salute those families who found the strength to go
on. I salute our troops and their families for fighting this long, hard war. I
salute the men on Flight 93 who said “Let’s Roll.” I salute the men, women and dogs who spent
weeks and months searching for survivors and victims at Ground Zero. I salute
all of the unsung heroes from the tragedy of 9/11.
I will never forget.





well-said. i still can't believe it's been 11 years.
ReplyDelete